Robert Prince is the creator, host and an executive producer of Dark Winter Nights. He teaches documentary filmmaking in the University of Alaska Fairbanks Journalism Department. The idea for Dark Winter Nights came from his frustration with how Alaska is depicted in reality TV programs and his feeling that Alaskans should be sharing their own stories with the world instead of other people doing it for them. He started Dark Winter Nights in the spring of 2014.
Odd Facts about Rob:
- I once flew in an airshow.
- I’ve made Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander and Brooke Shields laugh, though I think they were just being nice.
- I’ve been skydiving five times. I quit when they told me I’d have to start packing my own parachute.
- I once saw the Spice Girls in concert, but it’s not what it sounds like.
- I accidentally became a motivational speaker after making a dumb joke.
- I once drove a police car, but I’m not allowed to say where or with who.
- I had my first solo flight in an airplane at age 17.
- The first time I drove a snowmobile was on arctic sea ice off the coast of Barrow, Alaska
- I’ve been tasered and can attest that it’s not all that bad.